Iran dismisses US sanctions of Iranians over alleged kidnap plot

3

TEHERAN – on Saturday (Sept 4) dismissed new US sanctions on four Iranians over an alleged plot to kidnap an Iranian-American journalist, saying the move reflects Washington’s “addiction to sanctions”.

The US Treasury Department on Friday sanctioned the four, saying they were intelligence operatives behind the failed plot.

and merchants of sanctions, who see their sanctions tool box empty due to ’s maximum resistance, are now resorting to Hollywood scenarios to keep the sanctions alive,” the Foreign Ministry said in a tweet, quoting spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh.

“Washington must understand that it has no choice but to abandon its addiction to sanctions and respect Iran,” he said.

The sanctions come after US prosecutors in July charged the four with plotting to kidnap a New York-based journalist who was critical of Teheran. Reuters previously confirmed she was Iranian-American journalist Masih Alinejad.

at the time called the alleged plot “ridiculous and baseless”.

Those sanctioned are senior Iran-based intelligence official Alireza Shahvaroghi Farahani and Iranian intelligence operatives Mahmoud Khazein, Kiya Sadeghi and Omid Noori, the Treasury Department said.

The sanctions block all property of the four in the United States or in US control, and prohibit any transactions between them and US citizens.

Other non-Americans who conduct certain transactions with the four could also be subjected to US sanctions, the department said.

Comments are closed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More